Events are a good opportunity to visit Cagli and Le Marche region. And Cagli is the ideal location to admire what the small towns in the North of Le Marche (but also Gubbio, in nearby Umbria) offer. It is also possible hunting truffles in the countryside with local guides and dogs gifted with an infallible nose.
Culture, nature, specialties of local cuisine and truffles, wines, sports: all year round it is possible to select a period of stay at the Bonclerici House including the dates of historical reenactments, art exhibitions, food and wine festivals or hikes on mountain trails in Cagli and in the nearby. A few examples:
- January 5, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia di Operette Guarnera in “La Principessa della Czarda”
- January 10, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Il terzo segreto di satira in “L’amore al tempo dello storytelling”. National preview
- January 18, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Mario Lavezzi in “.. e la vita bussò”. National preview
- February 6, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale - Carlo Cecchi and Angelica Ippolito in “Dolore sotto chiave” and “Sik Sik l’artefice magico”. Play by Eduardo De Filippo. National preview
- February 14, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Claudia Fofi in “Teoria degli affetti”. Live concert
- February 18, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Giorgio Pasotti and Mariangela D’Abbraccio in “Hamlet”. Play. National preview
- February 23, 2020 – Acqualagna - Truffle Carnival. Truffles will be thrown from allegoric cars as gifts during the parade. Regional black truffle fair
- February 29, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – “Queenmania Rhapsody per rivivere a teatro il mito dei Queen”. Live music
- March 8, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – I fratelli Caproni in “I vestiti nuovi dell’imperatore”
- March 20, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Roberta Caronia in “Giulietta”. By Federico Fellini. National preview
- March 28, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Frank Matano and Francesco Arienzo in “FRANCY – Ma quand’è che inizia ‘sto spettacolo?”. National preview
- April 3, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – “Abba Dream”. Live music, video and dance
- April 9, 2020 – Secchiano di Cagli – La Ciurma. Holy Friday’s Passion play
- April 10, 2020 – Cantiano – La Turba. Holy Friday’s Passion play
- April 10, 2020 – Cagli – Processione del Cristo Morto and Easter’s rhytes
- April 17-18, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Aller-Retour Théâtre in “Il medico per forza”. Play by Moliére. National preview
- May 8, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Orchestra e coro Raffaello in “Tosca”. Opera by Giacomo Puccini
- May 15, 2020 – Gubbio – Corsa dei ceri (The candles’ race)
- May 15, 2020 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Paolo Migone in “Beethoven non è un cane”
- June 6-7, 2020 – Cagli – Spaghetti and lasagne feast. Dinner in the garden and free cooking lessons of home made pasta by Bonclerici House
- June 20-21, 2020 – Cagli – Free tasting of regional wines
- June 27-28, 2020 – Cagli – Griglia in piazza. Grilled meat and fish festival. Outdoor eating in the historic city centre’s square. Live music
- July 12, 2020 – Pianello di Cagli – Festa della Montagna. Outdoor eating and guided hike from the village of Pianello to Monte Nerone
- July 17-18-19, 2020 – Ca’ Rio di Cagli – Threshing festival. Typical food, outdoor eating and dance in the country village of Ca’ Rio
- July 17-24-31 and August 7, 2020 – Cagli – I Venerdì di Cagli. Outdoor eating and music events at the taverns of the old town
- August 2, 2020 – Furlo di Acqualagna – Black summer truffle fair. Outdoor eating, regional wines and black truffle based dishes in the nature park of Gola del Furlo. Jazz concert in the nature park in the night
- August 2, 2020 – Cagli – Paliotto. The Palio dell’Oca for children
- August 2, 2020 – Acquaviva di Cagli – Tractor day. Outdoor eating and dance in the country village of Acquaviva
- From August 8 to 21, 2020 – Pesaro – Rossini Opera Festival
- August 9, 2020 – Cagli – Palio dell’Oca. Historic reenactment, typical products, outdoor eating and dance at the taverns of the old town
- August 22, 2020 – Cagli – Cagli delle Musiche. Music event in the squares of the old town
- September 12-33, 2020 – Cagli – Free tasting of regional wines
- September 19-20, 2020 – Cagli – Spaghetti and lasagne feast. Dinner in the garden and free cooking lessons of home made pasta by Bonclerici House
- September 25-26-27, 2020. Wine festivals take place in amazing villages near Cagli. Special to enjoy the region and local food
- October 2-3-4; October 10-11; October 17-18; October 24-25, 2020: Truffle festivals take place on all the week-ends of October in the villages around Cagli. Recommended opportunities to try local specialties and regional wines
- October 10-11, 2020 – Cagli – Free tasting of regional wines
- October 17-18, 2020 – Cagli – Free tasting of regional wines
- October 24-25, 2020 – Cagli – Spaghetti and lasagne feast. Dinner in the garden and free cooking lessons of home made pasta by Bonclerici House
- October 25-31 and November 1-7-8-14-15, 2020 – Acqualagna – White truffle fair. Tastings, cooking shows, market and based truffle specialties
Sagras and amazing festivals dedicated to local food and wines take place every year on the same months and week-ends. So even if the dates for 2020 are not yet fixed in the calendar because organizers are not used to comunicate the dates many weeks before, it must be expected that from May to November there will be several interesting events on every week end.
Every Sunday and feast days from March to October free walks with experienced guides on the roads and the trails of the Natural Reserve of the Gola del Furlo. Walks are free (but it is necessary a reservation), easy and accessible to everybody, including kids and old people. Walks start at 3 p.m.: but in July and August starts are at 3.30pm and 5.30pm Info at our office: 0721-1708302. The tourist office of the park in the little village of Furlo also provides free audioguides to visit every day the Natural Reserve, with its flowers and woods, the two Roman tunnels and the romanesque abbey.
Profit by the free entrance to Palazzo Ducale in Urbino, every month on the first Sunday, to visit the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, one of the most important museums in Italy.
Many events which take place in Cagli and in the nearby picturesque villages are festivals dedicated to authentic local cuisine. The most typical ones are called sagra (rural festival) and are held between June and September in stands in the open air. Local people prepare and serve home made food like pasta, polenta, roast game, accompanied by bands performing popular songs. People dance and savour the authentic foods, both homemade as well as prepared by expert chefs living in the village, all continuing the tradition. Local food is an integral part of the culture of the region, and the local wines from around Cagli, such as the white Bianchello del Metauro and the red Vernaccia are ideal for meat, lamb, pork, and game. The sagre that take place in the countryside around Cagli are often in honour of a patron saint and involve a Mass or a blessing, together with dinner, music and dancing. Around Cagli in May you will find a sagra della fava e del formaggio (festival of broad beans and cheese), a sagra del fungo spignolo (festival of spignolo mushroom), and in August a sagra del coniglio in porchetta (festival of the rabbit), and in August/September a sagra della polenta. All are unique opportunities to taste authentic local cuisine without breaking the bank. The sagre are occasions for local people and families to gather in celebration of their produce and their aim is to retain the traditional identity of their village. However, the people of Le Marche welcome tourists, expecially foreign visitors, and invite them to join the celebrations and to share the authentic food and way of life of the Marche region. Similarly wine festivals are held from May to November.
Truffle festivals to sample based truffle dishes take place in nearby Acqualagna in February, the last weekend of July and in the first ten days of November as for the white truffle, the local delicacy. The drive to Acqualagna is an easy 10 kilometres from Cagli. Other truffle or mushrooms feasts take place every weekend in October in different villages around Cagli, which makes Cagli an ideal place to stay and to make amazing trips to sample truffle-based dishes in a festive atmosphere.
The Griglia in Piazza, a grilled meat feast, takes place on the last weekend of June in the centre of Cagli against the magnificent backdrop of the main square. From the beginning of July to the second Sunday of August, when the spectacular Palio dell’Oca is held, on every week end it is possible to enjoy outdoor eating in the little squares of Cagli and music events at the taverns of the four quarters of the old town. The Palio dell’Oca is a competition dating back to Renaissance time between the four quarters and consists and involves a grand parade in historical dress through the main streets and squares. Old recipes are rediscovered for the occasion.
Easter is a special time for visiting Cagli. The cagliesi are closely linked to their religious traditions. The three processions taking place on Good Friday at 5am, in the afternoon and in the night date back to medieval times. About 400 men walk barefeet wearing the traditional dresses of the five confraternities and with the head covered by a hood to do penance. All the residents and many people returning to the native town for the occasion take part in the processions and in the other rituals, and this makes a stay in Cagli very authentic and intense at Easter. In two nearby villages passion plays prepare the atmosphere for Easter on Maundy Thursday night. Such rituals are an unmissable opportunity to visit Cagli. At this time it is traditional to eat home made crescia di Pasqua, a salt pizza in the shape of a panettone made with cheese and eggs, and served with ham, salami or cheese. These crescia are produced at home by all women or sold in local bakeries and authenticity is guaranteed.
Many regional specialties can be enjoyed at theit absolute best all year round in Cagli and surrounding villages. Truffle-based dishes, such as tagliatelle, omelette, fillet, are offered in inexpensive as well as starred restaurants. Typical restaurants offer crescia, the regional version of piadina, prepared on an open fire and eaten in slices with ham, salami, cheese, or cicory and grilled vegetables. Home made pasta is prepared by the women of the house. The homely atmosphere is preserved in all the restaurants where dishes such as cappelletti, ravioli or the typical pasta of Le Marche region, called vincisgrassi, are served.
After the dinner, the region offers great examples of dessert wines, the perfect gift for taking home. The visciolata or visner is a sweet red wine made with morello cherries which grow wild in the countryside – perfect to drink with a gelato or a cake. Vin santo is a sweet wine made with naturally-dried white grapes, typical of Le Marche region as well as northern Umbria and Tuscany, perfect for meditation and recommended for dipping cantucci (very dry biscuits) in a small glass.