Events are a good opportunity to visit Cagli and Le Marche region. And Cagli is the ideal location to see what the small towns in the North of Le Marche (but also Gubbio, in nearby Umbria) offer. It is also possible hunting truffles in the countryside with local guides and dogs gifted with an infallible nose.
Culture, nature, specialties of local cuisine and truffles, wines, sports: all year round it is possible to select a period of stay at the Bonclerici House including the dates of historical reenactments, art exhibitions, food and wine festivals or hikes on mountain trails in Cagli and in the nearby. A few examples:
- January 6 – Village of Paravento di Cagli – Living nativity
- January 20 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Tania Biondi, Elena Cancellieri, Federico Ambrosini in “La Cena è servita”
- January 27 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Alessandro Bergonzoni in “Sii”. National preview
- February 11 – Acqualagna - Truffle Carnival. Truffles will be thrown from allegoric cars as gifts during the parade. Regional black truffle fair
- February 18 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Teatro dei bottoni in “Io non sono come te”
- February 24 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia di danza Raffaele Paganini in “La Bella Addormentata”
- March 3 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia teatrale San Costanzo Show in the play “A far l’amore comincia tu”
- March 4 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – “Aida e il bambini che sognava l’opera”
- March 10 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Paolo Rossi and Costantino Cinaski in “Storie di giorni dispari”
- March 16 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Giuliana Musso in “Nati per caso”
- March 24 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Lucrezia Lante della Rovere in “Io sono Misia”. Preview
- March 29 – Secchiano di Cagli – La Ciurma. Holy Friday’s Passion play
- March 30 – Cantiano – La Turba. Holy Friday’s Passion play
- March 30 – Cagli – Processione del Cristo Morto and Easter’s rhytes
- April 7 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia della Marca in “Edda Ciano. Tra cuore e cuore il musical”
- April 13 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Orchestra I Cameristi del Montefeltro in “Carmen”. By Georges Bizet
- From April 14 to April 29 – Cagli. Palazzo Mochi Zamperoli – Exhibition of the Montefeltro and Della Rovere families’ letters
- May 15 – Gubbio – Corsa dei ceri (The candles’ race)
- May 25 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Giovanni Guidi, Dezron Douglas, David Virelles, Gerald Cleaver in “Salida”, jazz concert
- June 2 – Pianello di Cagli – Piaceri Di Vini. Outdoor eating in the village’s taverns, regional wines, live music
- June 17 – Pianello di Cagli – Snail festival. Typical food, outdoor eating in the village, music events
- June 22-23 – Cagli – Griglia in piazza. Grilled meat and fish festival. Outdoor eating in the historic city centre
- July 11-12-13-14-15 – Cagli – Cagli in Festival. Rock bands in concert and beer festival
- July 15 – Pianello di Cagli – Festa della Montagna. Outdoor eating and guided hike from the village of Pianello to Monte Nerone
- July 20-21-22- Ca’ Rio di Cagli – Threshing festival. Typical food, outdoor eating and dance in the country village of Ca’ Rio
- July 20-27 and August 3-10 – Cagli – I Venerdì di Cagli. Outdoor eating and music events at the taverns of the old town
- July 29 – Acqualagna – Black summer truffle fair. Outdoor eating, regional wines and black truffle based dishes in the nature park of Gola del Furlo. Jazz concert in the nature park in the night
- August 4 – Cagli – Cagli in Rinascimento. Typical products and outdoor eating
- August 4 – Acquaviva di Cagli – Pappardella festival. Outdoor eating and dance in the country village of Acquaviva dedicated to the pappardelle, a regional kind of home made pasta
- August 5 – Cagli – Paliotto. The Palio dell’Oca for children
- August 5 – Acquaviva di Cagli – Tractor day. Outdoor eating and dance in the country village of Acquaviva
- August 9 – Cagli – The summer concert by the town band
- August 9 – Monte Petrano – Waiting for San Lorenzo night. Nature walk, night dinner and observation of the stars from Monte Petrano’s plateau
- August 12 – Cagli – Palio dell’Oca. Historic reenactment, typical products, outdoor eating and dance at the taverns of the old town
- August 18 – Cagli – Cagli delle Musiche. Music event in the squares of the old town
- September 5 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Gabriele Cirilli in “Mi piace”
- September 21 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Francesca Inaudi in “Preziosa”
- October 4 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Toquinho in “50 years of hits”. Concert with Greta Panettieri
- October 12 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale- Giorgio Montanini in “Live stand uo comedy 2018/19″
- October 20 – “Il Barbiere di Siviglia”. By Gioachino Rossini
- October 28, November 1-2-3-4-10-11 – Acqualagna – White truffle fair. Tastings, cooking shows, market and based truffle specialties
- November 4 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – “Stabat Mater”. By Gioachino Rossini
- November 10 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Scimone Sframelli in “Sei”
- November 17 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia San Costanzo Show in “Il giro del mondo in 80 minuti”
- November 29 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Cesare Bocci and Tiziana Foschi in “Pesce d’Aprile”. National preview
- November 30 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Clelia Sadda with Ospiti d’Onore in “E=me”
- November 30, 2018 – March 17, 2019 – Urbino. Palazzo Ducale. Galleria Nazionale delle Marche – Giovanni Santi’s works exhibition “Da poi… me detti alla mirabil arte de pictura”. It will be the opportunity to visit Giovanni Santi’s masterpiece Cappella Tiranni in the church of san Domenico in Cagli
- December 7 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Mario Mariani and Pietro Conversano in “Dante’s Portraits”
- December 7, 2018 – January 6, 2019 – Christmas in Cagli. Concerts, Christmas markets, cribs in the art churches of the town
- December 7, 2018 – January 19, 2019 – Gubbio – The biggest Christmas tree in the world
- December 15, 2018 – January 6, 2019 – Cagli. Palazzo Mochi Zamperoli – Exhibition “Arturo Gatti pittore”
- January 20, 2019 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Italiana di Operette in “Scugnizza”
- February 16, 2019 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Compagnia Flamenco Lunares in “La voz del flamenco”
- March 14, 2019 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Ascanio Celestini in “Pueblo”
- March 22, 2019 – Cagli. Teatro Comunale – Ert-Compagnia Kepler 452 in “Il giardino dei ciliegi 30 anni in comodato d’uso”
Sagras and amazing festivals dedicated to local food and wines take place every year on the same months and week-ends. So even if the dates for 2018 are not yet fixed in the calendar because organizers are not used to comunicate the dates many weeks before, it must be expected that from June to October there will be several interesting events on every week end.
Every Sunday and feast days from March to October free walks with experienced guides on the roads and the trails of the Natural Reserve of the Gola del Furlo. Walks are free (but it is necessary a reservation), easy and accessible to everybody, including kids and old people. Walks start at 3 p.m.: but in July and August starts are at 3.30pm and 5.30pm Info at our office: 0721-1708302. The tourist office of the park in the little village of Furlo also provides free audioguides to visit every day the Natural Reserve, with its flowers and woods, the two Roman tunnels and the romanesque abbey.
Profit by the free entrance to Palazzo Ducale in Urbino, every month on the first Sunday, to visit the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, one of the most important museums in Italy.
Many events which take place in Cagli and in the nearby picturesque villages are festivals dedicated to authentic local cuisine. The most typical ones are called sagra (rural festival) and are held between June and September in stands in the open air. Local people prepare and serve home made food like pasta, polenta, roast game, accompanied by bands performing popular songs. People dance and savour the authentic foods, both homemade as well as prepared by expert chefs living in the village, all continuing the tradition. Local food is an integral part of the culture of the region, and the local wines from around Cagli, such as the white Bianchello del Metauro and the red Vernaccia are ideal for meat, lamb, pork, and game. The sagre that take place in the countryside around Cagli are often in honour of a patron saint and involve a Mass or a blessing, together with dinner, music and dancing. Around Cagli in May you will find a sagra della fava e del formaggio (festival of broad beans and cheese), a sagra del fungo spignolo (festival of spignolo mushroom), and in August a sagra del coniglio in porchetta (festival of the rabbit), and in August/September a sagra della polenta. All are unique opportunities to taste authentic local cuisine without breaking the bank. The sagre are occasions for local people and families to gather in celebration of their produce and their aim is to retain the traditional identity of their village. However, the people of Le Marche welcome tourists, expecially foreign visitors, and invite them to join the celebrations and to share the authentic food and way of life of the Marche region. Similarly wine festivals are held from May to November.
Truffle festivals to sample based truffle dishes take place in nearby Acqualagna in February, the last weekend of July and in the first ten days of November as for the white truffle, the local delicacy. The drive to Acqualagna is an easy 10 kilometres from Cagli. Other truffle or mushrooms feasts take place every weekend in October in different villages around Cagli, which makes Cagli an ideal place to stay and to make amazing trips to sample truffle-based dishes in a festive atmosphere.
The Griglia in Piazza, a grilled meat feast, takes place on the last weekend of June in the centre of Cagli against the magnificent backdrop of the main square. From the beginning of July to the second Sunday of August, when the spectacular Palio dell’Oca is held, on every week end it is possible to enjoy outdoor eating in the little squares of Cagli and music events at the taverns of the four quarters of the old town. The Palio dell’Oca is a competition dating back to Renaissance time between the four quarters and consists and involves a grand parade in historical dress through the main streets and squares. Old recipes are rediscovered for the occasion.
Easter is a special time for visiting Cagli. The cagliesi are closely linked to their religious traditions. The three processions taking place on Good Friday at 5am, in the afternoon and in the night date back to medieval times. About 400 men walk barefeet wearing the traditional dresses of the five confraternities and with the head covered by a hood to do penance. All the residents and many people returning to the native town for the occasion take part in the processions and in the other rituals, and this makes a stay in Cagli very authentic and intense at Easter. In two nearby villages passion plays prepare the atmosphere for Easter on Maundy Thursday night. Such rituals are an unmissable opportunity to visit Cagli. At this time it is traditional to eat home made crescia di Pasqua, a salt pizza in the shape of a panettone made with cheese and eggs, and served with ham, salami or cheese. These crescia are produced at home by all women or sold in local bakeries and authenticity is guaranteed.
Many regional specialties can be enjoyed at theit absolute best all year round in Cagli and surrounding villages. Truffle-based dishes, such as tagliatelle, omelette, fillet, are offered in inexpensive as well as starred restaurants. Typical restaurants offer crescia, the regional version of piadina, prepared on an open fire and eaten in slices with ham, salami, cheese, or cicory and grilled vegetables. Home made pasta is prepared by the women of the house. The homely atmosphere is preserved in all the restaurants where dishes such as cappelletti, ravioli or the typical pasta of Le Marche region, called vincisgrassi, are served.
After the dinner, the region offers great examples of dessert wines, the perfect gift for taking home. The visciolata or visner is a sweet red wine made with morello cherries which grow wild in the countryside – perfect to drink with a gelato or a cake. Vin santo is a sweet wine made with naturally-dried white grapes, typical of Le Marche region as well as northern Umbria and Tuscany, perfect for meditation and recommended for dipping cantucci (very dry biscuits) in a small glass.